Friday, February 23, 2007

CL SMOOTH interview (11/18/2006)

Flatline: You came out in the early 90's with Pete Rock and released some timeless material. What kind of memories do you have from that special time in hip hop?

CL Smooth: Just everything being new, everything being a new experience, to be accepted by the public. To be a part of some great projects...and just being able to be heard.

Flatline: You hooked up with DJ Krush in 96 for "Only The Strong Survive" on MoWax. How did the two of you get together and what was it like working with him?

CL Smooth: From traveling, just meeting different people and he was one of the people I met and I dug his music. I dug his enthusiasm, so working with him wasn't a problem. He's a DJ and very talented and from another part of the earth that I was new to experience. The reception that I got over there from the record was phenomenal. It was an impact record in my career.

Flatline: There was always talk of you doing a solo album but nothing ever came to reality. What were you doing when you weren't recording?

CL Smooth: Just living life and taking care of business that needed to be taken care of. As far as my personal life and beyond the music, finding out who I was...what I'm meant to do beyond the music and setting that up, to maintaining a certain lifestyle and a certain amount of self respect, so that when I returned I would have things to write about and I would be in a better position to be able to promote it, and most of all, enjoy it.

Flatline: You made appearances on both of Pete Rock's solo albums, and there was always this buzz about the two of you getting back together. Did you both feel that it was just best to leave the legacy intact as it is?

CL Smooth: Well, you know, I can only speak for myself...you know, I thought around the time of the early millennium that I was anticipating that we would reunite and give the people what they wanted. But when it didn't work out and I realized that our creative juices were going other places, through that disappointment of not making it, I wanted to put the energy into something because I had worked so hard to get back to that point, to be successful. So, you know, I put it into this album because I know success, a lot of times, is very scary and the element and mind state you have to be in to be successful. It weighs a lot. So I was fully committed, and to hold no grudges, I just put all the energy and focus into my first solo project which I'm very proud of.

Flatline: To me, personally, "American Me" is a triumph and one of the best albums this year. What was the writing process like and how long did it take for the project to be completed?

CL Smooth: Oh, it didn't take long, because during the time I wasn't making records I was developing my art, I was crafting it and honing it to be better, to come back much better. Sort of like a pitcher who gets an operation and he has to take the whole year off and he's doing all his therapy and all his work and come to find out, a lot of pitchers come back even better than before. I felt like it was all about preparation and how you live and what's your process and commitment to be taken seriously. I totally took myself and my craft seriously and tried to commit myself to maximize my potential and effort the best way I could. That was to go in the studio and really give it all I had, and I felt that I did.

Flatline: Absolutely. One thing that I love about this project is that it's a true solo album, there's not a million guest spots on there...

CL Smooth: Yeah, I wanted to just give people an opportunity to know that there are very few artists who feel they're interesting enough to make a full record, a full album, rather than be watered down. And I know that rap is in a grave situation where, you know, you need true artists to return. I wanted to be one of those who committed to that movement.

Flatline: It's like you never left...

CL Smooth: Yeah, I feel like I never left. I really, truly have something to say.

Flatline: That brings us to "The Terrorism Interlude" on the album where you kind of unload about "a holy war worth billions" in less than sixty seconds. Was there more that you wanted to touch upon on that track?

CL Smooth: No, not necessarily. You know, a lot of times it's the little things that are said, more than just whole songs that are focused on, cause we take for granted that a whole song is just a whole song. When we get an element of a message, sometimes it's very short, it's very to the point and those, a lot of times, get more across than actual songs.

Flatline: What's something in hip hop or something about hip hop that you don't like?

CL Smooth: Just the stigmatism that certain artists, when they get into trouble, that it just reflects on the whole game and I feel that when, you know, the person does something right or wrong, they speak for themselves, they don't speak for the majority. Most of all, we need to create a balance in this game and I feel that, I'm voting towards that way. I'm committing myself to a campaign to go towards that way.

Flatline: Are you going to tour in support of the album?

CL Smooth: Oh definitely. One of the things I'm proud of, alongside or above my studio work is my commitment to have a great show. I feel that a lot of times we are caught up in the limelight and we fail to entertain and that's one thing I'm fully committed to. I'm fully committed to entertain.

Flatline: There's so many different musical influences on this album from jazz to rock to reggae that I could see you going out on the road with a live band...

CL Smooth: That's one of the things I wanted the people to decide - how they want me. The people to decide, it is good or not? The people to decide, whether I continue, because I need their help. I need their vote and their support in knowing that. These are the creative venues and opportunities that I opened up for myself. Is it rightfully so? Would I be changing the element of or compromising the element of where I'm coming from by adding a live band?

Flatline: Well, having a band like The Roots backing you up would be amazing...

CL Smooth: It would be amazing and I can picture that now. It would be a great chemistry and that's what it's all about, for people to know that, for CL to make records, the chemistry has to be right.

Flatline: One final question for you. How does it feel to have officially released "the type of heat that makes Pete squirm"?

CL Smooth: (laughs) My whole thing with that line was to reflect on the people that I thought would be on my side and weren't. They didn't believe it could be done and it's being done. Surprisingly, like, it's like a guy that you won all the whole championships with and he's not impressed by anything you do. Even when you score fifty points in a game, even when you come at your highest level he's not impressed unless you're on his music. But I'm here to let you know that with the success of this project and provin' and letting the people speak, that it just gives it a greater opportunity for me to return with Pete and finally close, you know, the door and the chapter...or, open up a greater beginning. I'm very optimistic and very happy with how my life is going right now that I can only think optimistic, even when it's bleak and dim.

- Flatline for rapstation.com

No comments: