Friday, February 23, 2007

DILATED PEOPLES interview (2/4/2006)

Flatline: Evidence, the first time I heard you on record was either on Defari's debut or The High & Mighty's debut. What was it like for you getting to work with them when you were coming up?

Evidence: You know, it's funny, cause I didn't know Defari was Defari or High & Mighty was High & Mighty. At the time, everyone was just friends, working and so focused on coming up...no one had really made a name for themselves yet. It wasn't like anyone was established. Defari would come over to my house everyday and we'd just be making music on a level like two people would, just for the love of it. It just turned into what it turned into. With High & Mighty, I was on vacation in New York, chillin' with Alchemist who had become friends with Mighty Mi. He said, listen, you should come over to my homies house and kick a rhyme on this stuff, they got some tight stuff. So I went over there and did it. Now, looking back on it, I'm proud of everyone's accomplishments.

Flatline: I love that there is always a message involved with your lyrics Rakaa, and the first single "Back Again" is no exception. You say "many things you fear have been in place for years." Speak a little more on that...

Rakaa: It's kinda like anything else. By the time it filters its way through mainstream media and through the streets and everything else, it has probably already been in place. Rumors you've heard about, problems that have been happening...things that you have apprehension or anxiety about in the future...disease and warfare, government tampering and eavesdropping. There's so many different things that are happening that people have been scared about. You're scared about living under microchips and big brother...it's just been packaged in a way where you don't feel it's the negative thing, that maybe you've always been scared of but really, you're living under many of the conditions that you've been scared to live under.

Flatline: When I first heard your material Babu, it was on Return Of The DJ, the first pressing in black and white with the cross fader on the cover...

Babu: I got that right there, I know exactly what that is...(laughs)

Flatline: How have you grown as a DJ since then?

Babu: A ton man, a ton. From my personal life, to my artistic life, I've changed a lot. I've gotten married and moved out of the house and had kids and all that. Back then, I was living under my mama's roof and working at the gas station, going to junior college...things have changed. Everything has evolved to a bigger level. Now, I can technically say that I do this as a profession. Versus having a 4 track, now I have Pro-Tools...a lot of things have changed.

Flatline: How did Volvo approach you about using "This Way" for one of their commercials?

Evidence: Dave Myers, who directed the video for "This Way", directed the Volvo commercial. Basically, what happened was, they wanted to tie the song and the whole campaign together. I have no problem with people licensing our music, whether it be EA Sports, Volvo, Nike or whoever. We make our music as is, if it fits you then great...however, I just wasn't willing to become a poster boy for Volvo. A lot of people think that's us in the commercial...we're not in the commercial. They shot that in Madrid, Spain and we're not in the commercial. They found two dudes who kinda look like us a little bit, so when all is said and done, it kinda makes it a funny situation. We licensed our song to Volvo like we would anyone else, and they kinda took it a little bit further than we had wished, you know?

Flatline: Are the Rakaa and Evidence solo albums still in the works?

Rakaa: Without a doubt, 100%, we're working on solo albums. What ends up happening a lot of times is our plans are different than our record label plans. The situation is, it takes so much time to really switch gears between the compromise gear or working Dilated and finding a common denominator for three people and the pure uncut vibe of just going after what you feel on any given day.

Evidence: Yeah, solo albums are very much in the works. There's been a couple little detours...contractually and creatively. I have so many focuses outside of Dilated right now. "The Medicine", which is Planet Asia's new album which I produced all 16 songs on, will be released in mid-2006. I did everything in my will to show my skills as a producer because, my homies now are not making 12 inches anymore, they're makings ALBUMS. You got Alchemist bangin' out "1st Infantry"...you got Babu doing his "Likwit Junkies"...you got 9th Wonder making albums for people, not just 12 inches. Pete Rock & CL Smooth, they got to do that back in the day. Large Professor, he made an entire album for Akineyle. Premier, he produced the Gangstarr albums. For me, it's for people to see the versatility and what I'm capable of doing. We got Prodigy on "The Medicine", Blackstar, Alchemist, Dilated Peoples, Cali Agents. Beyond that, myself and Alchemist are doing an album right now...50/50 basically, we're splitting half the beats and half the rhymes.

Flatline: When you were coming up, who were some people you looked up to and have you ever thought about getting them on a Dilated record?

Babu: I remember 84 distinctly, moving to California at the same time as the explosion of hip hop and breakdancing. I remember distinctly, buying records because I heard this group had a bad ass DJ. But mostly it was from groups like EPMD because they had DJ Scratch...Jazzy Jeff...Mix Master Ice...I can go on and on. I really came from that. At this point, I'm just a product of my environment.

Rakaa: At a different point in my life, LL Cool J was an incredible influence, being a young, cocky cat who just destroyed microphones and stages. Beastie Boys...RUN DMC...RUN DMC made me feel like there's something bigger than a rap song. Honestly, through everything, NWA was a huge influence coming out of L.A. and having the sound they had on "Straight Outta Compton". That stuff was just so ill. The single biggest artist to me, as an artist period, across the board, would be KRS ONE and Boogie Down Productions. Without a doubt. That's where I got my philosophy of edutainment...the idea that you have a platform, you have peoples attention..leave them with something...leave them with a jewel. Ultimately, we always try to leave them with a jewel, whether it's a little something in every song or a little something on every album. I'm not gonna feed them a meal of additives and preservatives. I'm gonna try and give them some nutrients and vitamins and minerals in there if I can.

Flatline: Evidence, were you in the studio with KRS ONE on Lyrics Born "Pack Up" remix from last year?

Evidence: No, no I was not. I wasn't in the studio with either of them. I was in the studio myself, and it's funny, I was recording myself and I think if you listen real, real carefully while I'm rapping, you can hear the hum from my Pro-Tools. So I'm sitting there in front of my G4 and it's like "nnnnn"...(laughs) So, no, KRS wasn't there. You know, I haven't met him yet. That's somebody I would love to meet.

Flatline: When are you gonna do a track with Rakim?

Evidence: That would be...there's another person I haven't met yet. That would be lovely. I just don't know how acceptable a lot of people like that are nowadays with our group. Friends make better music than strangers. I don't ever really wanna get put in a room with somebody ever again and expect to just make music. It elevates your game to a certain point but after making this new album and having the luxury of working with people I'm comfortable with, I'll probably just be collaborating with my peoples from now on. Working with Rakim is the kind of opportunity I wouldn't pass up in a million years, I'm just not seeking it out, you know what I mean?

Flatline: Babu, have you had a chance to meet any of your idols that you looked up to coming up?

Babu: To be honest with you, I've met a lot of them. It's an incredible thing, to be able to meet them on your own terms, where you meet as peers versus at an autograph signing. I mean, I know what that feels like to be on the other side of the fence. Being able to say I'm cool with Premo...we might call each other and chop it up, that's some crazy shit. He comes to L.A. and we go to the studio and hang out...I'd never believe that if someone told me 10-15 years ago. It means the most to me...getting that respect from people that you grew up studying and admiring. I can die peacefully now. (laughs)

Flatline: You guys have worked with a bunch of different producers (Premier, Kanye, Alchemist, JuJu, Da Beatminerz)...who haven't you worked with that you'd like to get a track from?

Rakaa: hmm...Rick Rubin...if I could put the original Bomb Squad back together...working with the Beastie Boys as a production crew...Capleton's crew, The Prophecy Band. I would say Dr.Dre is up there but Rick Rubin is the one. Dr.Dre is incredible but Rick Rubin would be the dream.

Flatline: You produced a handful of tracks on the first three Dilated records Babu. Where do you get inspiration from when you're creating beats and are you more comfortable behind the turntables?

Babu: To me, it's the same battle. I've juggled beats on the turntables for years and I try and take that same energy and do that with my sampler in the studio. I'm blessed to have so many high profile cats around me at all times, so inspiration is no problem, you know? I spend mad loot on records, so that's a lot of inspiration right there. I spend mad loot on weed, so that's a lot of inspiration right there. (laughs) I have an infinite amount of inspiration when I go home and see my two kids, so inspiration is nothing I'm short of.

Flatline: You're hitting the road with Little Brother. How do you balance your personal lives with business?

Rakaa: As well as we can man, you know? It's very, very difficult. To be honest, it's close to impossible. It takes an incredible amount of focus and determination on both sides to make it work. It's very difficult to balance those things with the lifestyle, with the hours, with the time, with the social scene...so we just do the best we can do. A lot of where we are right now is the product of not just getting better as rappers, producers and DJ's, but us getting better as people...us growing up as men, as business men, as men in general. We balance everything out and hope for the best in the end. It's no different than anyone else who sacrifices certain things to live out their dream.

Babu: It is very, very, very tough. That's probably the only angst in my life, is just wishing I had eight days in the week or another Babu to take care of stuff for me. At the same time, I'm blessed cause I got a lot of support from my family and my wife's family. On top of that, my wife, who's been my girlfriend and wife for so long, has kinda known my lifestyle for years. When I made the plunge, she made the plunge with me. There'd be no other way for me to make it unless I had that support system, you know what I mean?

Flatline: Since the Black Eyed Peas added a female singer to the group, has there been pressure from the label for you guys to do the same thing?

Rakaa: Nah, nah (laughs) That's something I don't think would go over too well. We might start a riot or something. (laughs) But more power to the Peas man. They just got better and better at what they do. Will.I.Am just came down to Supernatural's birthday party and got on the mic freestylin' and showed and proved why, back in the day, he was an L.A. phenomenon. He was the freestyle champion at this club in L.A. called Ballistics for like two years or some crazy shit. At his core, he's a hip hopper at heart...he's a dancer and a rapper that loves hip hop culture.

Flatline: Babu, it must be really rewarding working with Evidence and Rakaa...you're not just "the DJ in the back"...you always get your time in the spotlight...

Babu: That was the biggest reason I got with the group. I felt how connected they were to hip hop culture. They could have had a ton of DJ's but they were adamant about getting me and it was a blessing. Those guys, what can I say? They're a rare breed. I've got a dream job...I don't know any other group I'd rather be DJing for.

Flatline: What's the goal with the new album "20/20"? Where do you want to take things on this record?

Evidence: Just clarity..clarity. Period. It's very simply put, understanding who we are, what our position is in the game, understanding that we don't fall for anything...we stand for something. At this point, you can't fall for anything. We're four albums into this game, it's either people are gonna like us or they're not. It means having the comfort of it. For the first time, my voice is finally the way I want. A lot of little confidence issues I've had in the back of my head have kinda been erased and it's just time to do what we do...bring it to the people.

- Flatline for rapstation.com

No comments: