Sunday, May 6, 2007

M O Z

After listening to the man for the past 16+ years, I have finally SEEN him with my own two eyes. Morrissey.

"You know, sometimes I look out into the crowd and I hear someone yell out "Johnny Marr" and then I look, and it IS Johnny Marr"

Hilarious. I don't know who the opening act was...I was in The Paramount Club with my man T-Diggy, sippin' on gin and grapefruit juice. Shout out to the cheese and the bread paper cracker stuff - delicious. Also to Erik (aka: E-Dub) and Amy, who we met up in there, predicting which Smiths songs he might perform. We were in PRIME seating, right below the main balcony, first row - amazing. (thank you Tracy!!!) Erik said Morrissey had been opening up the show with The Queen Is Dead and they launched right into it...then into 3 or 4 Moz songs that I did not recognize. The last Morrissey album I bought was "Maladjusted"...and yikes....that was in 1997. I feel old. They performed NOTHING from "Vauxhaul and I" which was a little disappointing as it's one of my favorite albums. They played "The Boy With The Thorn In His Side" for about a minute - until he stopped them from playing it because he couldn't hear himself singing - they did not revisit it. "Everyday Is Like Sunday" was a major highlight as well as "Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want". They closed off the show with "You're Gonna Need Someone On Your Side" from "Your Arsenal" which was insanely good. Oh, and they also played "How Soon Is Now" which was incredible. It was an hour and a half ROCK show....but now here's where I've gotta complain, and I think it really falls on the Seattle crowds...they're lame. A handful of people threw flowers....3 people got on stage....there just didn't seem to be a connection between Morrissey and the audience, or for that matter, Morrissey and his band. It was very bizarre at times to me, like he was just going through the motions. Could be just me but don't get me wrong - I am really glad I had a chance to see him...the whole night was first class thru and thru. (where was Brother Rick?)

As I look over at the clock and realize it's 11:35, I am really wishing I did not have to go to work tomorrow. Would much rather chill and watch Walk The Line again or something. With Camp Lo (straight outta the Bronx) playing in the background (talk about a 180 from Morrissey) I am outta here....please please please let me get what I want........

Good times for a change
See, the luck I've had
Can make a good man
Turn bad

So please please please
Let me, let me, let me
Let me get what I want
This time

Haven't had a dream in a long time
See, the life I've had
Can make a good man bad

So for once in my life
Let me get what I want
Lord knows, it would be the first time
Lord knows, it would be the first time

No comments: